Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Conversations with 1st Graders

I teach in a neighborhood with mostly Latino families. Students aren’t aware of many other cultures and something about Chinese culture fascinates them. This is particularly true with Bryant.

I’ve seen him pointing at me, screaming down the hall to his mom “Ella es china, ella es china” (She is Chinese, she is Chinese). When I was trying to teach him to say backpack in English, he stopped me to ask how I said it in china. (He actually repeated the Chinese back to me with the perfect intonation!) In our reading group once, Bryant stopped me as I was teaching him the word “here”.

“Why you es china and you live here?”

I looked at him, caught off guard by his question. “Well, sweetie, your family is from Mexico and you live here. It’s the same thing.”

“I live in Dios.”

“You live in God?”

“Yeah, he died.”

Everything about that conversation amused me.

1 comment:

jennpope said...

that story never gets old.... :)