Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A mirror and it's Lighting

It's interesting how lighting can have such an impact on the reflection one sees in a mirror. I remember a makeup mirror that my aunt gave me when I was in second grade. There was a controler that you could switch that imitated daytime and nightime lighting and everything in between. I didn't understand what it was all about then, but I do now. The light that is reflected off the mirror affects the image that the person who is looking into the mirror sees.

This analogy may be a bit cheesy but it has helped me as I think about the school year ahead...(and when has cheesiness ever stopped me?)

I want to be a mirror this year that allows God's lighting to affect what the kids see in themselves when they look at me. A look. A word. A touch. They can all communicate so much to a kid about their worth - whether or not they are loved, what possibilities they have in their future, whether anyone believes they can do great things with their lives. I want to be a mirror this year that allows God to show each kid how much they are loved, what treasures they are, and what great purposes they have been given. When they look at me, I want my eyes to tell them they are cherised. When they hear me speak, I want them to hear that they have worth. Through my actions, I want them to know that they are loved. Not because of me - I'm just a mirror - but because of the correct lighting that reveals the true beauty in each of them.

Make me a mirror, this year, Lord. And be the lighting that reflects off of me.

No comments: