We had just finished making props for our play. I had decided to set them loose in groups, assigning each group a specific prop to work on. In the beginning, it was turning out incredibly well. The kids were working together and everyone was on task. However, when we only had 10 minutes left, the bickering and tattle-telling started up. After a few mintues of this, I couldn't take it anymore and called a wrap on prop making 5 minutes earlier than scheduled.
We gathered on the carpet. I told them that I had seen some good teamwork and some bad teamwork that day. We started with the good. "How do you feel like you worked well as a team today?" Kids shared about all the wonderful ways they worked together and helped each other.
"Without telling me any names, how did you feel hurt today?" Kids shared about rudeness, mean words, and mean voices.
"Alright, after hearing that, does anyone feel like they need to apologize to someone in our classroom right now?" Silence. No one was flinching. I thought, "Maybe this isn't going to work on first graders." I decided to wait it out just a little longer. Then, one boy in the back raised his hand to make the first apology. After he apologized, he went to the friend who he had hurt and gave him a handshake (it is a custom in our classroom to either give a hug or a handshake after resolving conflict). Seeing this, another student raised her hand to make an apology. Then another and another. About 6 apologies were made before it was time for lunch.
I had prayed earlier in the morning that today would not just be another day of academic learning but that God would be shaping these kids' characters and lives.
I got to see God move again today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
it's good that these kids don't need to wait til college to learn about conflict-resolution.
Post a Comment