Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sweet Revenge

This entry, including the title, is written in pure humor. I've grown to love all my students very much inspite of all the moments they make me want to pull my hair out.




Tom and I never really got along. It's sad to say that about a student, but it's just true. His smirks and attitude drove me crazy for the 2 years that I taught fourth and fifth grade.

For Mother's Day, my first graders and I planted seeds in the pots they had painted. At the end of the day, Cathy, my 6th grader came in to see if she could help me. I asked her to empty out the left over soil that was in the baking platter. As she was emptying out the platter, I saw Tom and Joey walk by the door. Cathy and I walked over to talk to them. As I was talking to Joey, out of the corner of my eye I saw Tom reach into my platter of soil, take a hand full of it, and shoved it in his mouth saying, "Yummy, brownie mix!"

I turned to him shouting, "That's soil!" He then spit it all out into his hands and ran down the hall to the bathroom.

I looked at Cathy who had a smirk on her face. Knowing a needed an explanation she said, "I just said, 'Look, there's no more brownie mix!' and he said, 'Yes there is!' and he reached in and grabbed some..."

I flashbacked on the memories that Tom and I had shared during the 2 years he was in my class. The chewed up gum he put in my hands, the crayons he threw, the endless conversations I had to have with his parents about his behavior...ah, yes. I think we are now even!

No comments: