Sunday, May 2, 2010

Holding onto Hope

She found me after school. "Did Jennifer tell you? I'm going to church now. Things are getting better! I told her to tell you. I knew you'd be excited for us."

Her story reminds me of the women at the well. Sometimes, the past haunts. Sometimes, making excuses for the present is easier than facing it head-on, determined to overcome. Sometimes, you want to face it head-on, but you don't know how nor do you have the strength to even try.

The truth is, I had given up on them. Hoping for change was too heart-breaking for me. Hope began to feel like sitting at the edge of my seat, celebrating the victory of today for a few minutes before wondering what tomorrow would bring. Sometimes it feels easier to just be resigned to what is rather than hope for what could be.

But hope in Jesus is worth it. The full victory has not yet come, but I do believe that the journey to victory has begun. I continue to hold onto hope because I know the third day of the Easter story and that day brings with it a story of victory and lives redeemed.

"No. Jennifer didn't tell me, but I'm so happy for you."

1 comment:

Charissa - The Gifted Blog said...

Awesome. Thanks for sharing, Stephanie!