I finally worked up the courage to go visit my grandpa at the hospital today. It has been over a month since my last visit. Last time, I ran out of the hospital room after just a minute of being there. It was too hard to watch.
He was much calmer today. The suffering is still there, but he seemed more resigned to it. He never looked me in the eyes during my visit and there really wasn't much I could say as his speech is pretty incomprehensible. So I just held him and prayed over him and told him that Jesus loves him. And then I remembered that he used to ask me to scratch his head when I was little. So I started rubbing his scalp - with gloves on this time.(We have to put on gloves, a face mask, and a plastic gown everytime we enter his room.) My hands were definitely less oily than they used to be thanks to the gloves!
At one point he moved his hands out from under his blanket and moved them closer to mine which were hanging over the bed. I hope it was an acknowledgement that he remembered...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Stephanie - It sounds like you found some meaningful ways to express love to your grandpa. One of my close relatives might have to go through a treatment where he'd be in isolation...it sounds similar (visitors having to suit up and be gloved to be with him). I'm sure your caring touch meant a lot in that kind of alienating environment.
I'm sorry to hear about your relative, Charissa.
Thanks for your encouragement!
Post a Comment