We were in middle of play practice. I was working with the Cast A while Cast B was working on an independent activity at their desk. Cast B KNEW not to bother me because it was crunch time and I needed to give my full attention to the students on stage.
But that did not stop Bryant. In middle of a scene he came running up to me shouting "I can read it? I can read it?" The intonation he used made me think he was asking me if he could read the story I had assigned. I was annoyed (since he already knew the directions) and motioned for him to go back to his desk. So, he did.
As I continued to work with the students on stage my ears tuned into Bryant and did a double take. Bryant was READING the story aloud, all by himself! Bryant has struggled with reading Kindergarten texts all year and here he was now reading a first grade story. And then it clicked.
I left my students on stage and went over to Bryant. "Bryant, are you reading that all by yourself?"
"Yes," he replied with a hidden smile.
"You were trying to tell me that you can read, huh?"
He just looked at me, the smile shining brighter than before.
I gave him a hug and told him how proud I was. As I walked away, Bryant went right back to the story, reading even more confidently now.
This year has been one of the most difficult ones that I have had to come face-to-face with. I've broken down so many nights, not knowing if I had what it would take to keep pushing through - for my family, for my kids, or for myself. But the year is now over and I think about Bryant. All year, Bryant felt like the thing in my life that was pushing me over the edge. I've been angry with God for orchestrating this year the way that He did. I questioned why He would give me such a needy kid during a year that I had almost nothing to give. But I think I understand it a little bit more now. While it felt like Bryant was the straw that was going to break the camel's back, he actually was the one who brought me incredible joy - a joy that comes from knowing that God strengthens, empowers, and lavishes grace when I feel like I have absolutely nothing left. And at the end of the year, He shows me what I can do when I lean into Him, knowing that I am weak. He shows me a student who can read, a student who passed his 1st grade math benchmark, and most importantly, a student who has a newfound confidence in himself and a new love for school and for learning.
So, tonight, I'm grateful for Bryant because he taught me well this year. He taught me that the scripture is true...I am weak, but my God is strong.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment