Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lessons from Nature



Mason and I road tripped down the California Coast after Caroline and Lucas' wedding in Napa this past week. At the end of our trip, we decided to climb a rock at Montana de Oro in Morro Bay (as recommended by Eric!). We sat at the top of the rock in awe of this view in front of us. As we sat there we were so struck by the story of life that nature was telling before our eyes.

The rocks out before us did not always look as it does now. But the work of the constant waves has shaped it and continues to do so, day and night whether or not anyone is watching. The change is so gradual it is impossible to see with the human eye, but it's happening. In midst of the slowness of change, we wondered if something catastrophic also happened somewhere along the way - an earthquake, perhaps - that changed the rock more suddenly, more noticeably.

Isn't it so with life? It feels like a lot of catastrophic happened last year - not so much change but things that happened that opened my eyes to how I was living and how I want to live. With that work done, I am now entering a new season, so wanting to change but unsure how. So often I wonder what God is doing in me, if anything at all. I wonder if I'm doing enough in this process. But it's comforting to be reminded that God is as constant as the waves. Like the rocks, I just have to be open and allow Him to do His work.

And His work is good. The moment on top of this rock at Montana de Oro assured me of that.