Sunday, August 28, 2011

Remembering and Living

I spent yesterday at school with my kids and their families. It's the first Saturday School that I've been to in a year - the other ones were spent in hospitals with my parents. I was so grateful to be at school this weekend, even though I looked anxiously at my phone on Friday afternoon, hoping to not receive the same call that came on Fridays at 12:30 right before both Saturday Schools last year. I am so happy to report that that call didn't come this time.

I don't think the significance of being at a Saturday School really struck me until I was sitting in church this morning, thinking about God's love. The past school year has been crazy. It found me feeling weak, weary, and so low in joy - I was simply pushing through to make it to the end of each day.

But today, I celebrate. It has been a year since my mom was in the emergency room the first time. The feelings of that week are still so raw in my heart, but as another school year begins, the hope of a new season comes with it and I am so grateful for this fresh beginning. I'm grateful that both my parents are healthy and in the calm after the storm, I can finally recognize God's love through this past year. And I am overwhelemed. I am overwhelmed by the people He sent into my life to take care of me. I am overwhelmed by the ways He loved me through my family and friends who helped me make health decisions for my parents, cooked for me, prayed for me, prayed with me, and even prayed with my parents. I am overwhelmed by the gift He gave me in Mason who sat with me through the nights waiting for each parent to come out of surgery and who held me as I cried through the emotional rollar coaster of the year.

I remember the last year and I'm grateful that that year is over. Today, I sit and live in being Abba's child - overwhelemed by His love. I pray that God would teach me how to live in that this whole year long.

No comments: