Sunday, December 9, 2007

The 6-year-old celloist

I went to Jea's recital last night. There was a first grader performing his cello pieces and, even to this inexperienced, untrained ear, I could tell there were places where he played the wrong notes and made mistakes. But, as I watched him, I did not flinch at the mistakes. All I could think about as he played was the potential he had. Every musician had to start somewhere. I wondered if I would see him in a grand orchestra performance in 20 years.

And then God revealed something to me. Just as I looked at this little boy and smiled at the possibilities, so God sees me in the classroom. There are days in that classroom when I have no idea what I am doing. There are days when I make endless mistakes. But in that moment of watching the 6-year-old, God freed me just a bit, lavished me with His grace, and helped me to actually receive it. I don't have to be perfect. I can make mistakes. I'm still learning. But one day...

No comments: