Monday, December 8, 2008

Revisiting Values

When some of the kids I trusted the most looked me in the eyes and lied to me about the bad choices they've made, at that moment, a part of my world began to fall apart. If I can't trust them, who am I suppose to trust?

I am so sad and so disappointed.

But I also have a new sense of purpose. Sending these children to college is very important, but that is not the thing that will carry them through life. I have a new value for building character in these children. I want them to be people of persistence and integrity and compassion. I'd much rather these things be what drives their lives than their need to succeed.

What would it be like to let these things be the roots of our school day rather than our need for a high API score and our fear of being on the program improvement list?

No comments: