Thursday, March 5, 2009

R.I.P. Sharkey

I went into class Wednesday morning to find Sharkey sleeping sideways at the bottom of her fishtank. I don't know how fish sleep, but from my observations of Sharkey these past few months, it's not by lying down on her side on top of the pebbles...

Maybe it was because Sharkey is my first pet, maybe it was because I was afraid of how the kids would react, but walking Sharkey to the girls' restroom, not a bit of fluttering in the green net, made me want to throw up. I couldn't look at her and it was a sad parting moment when she flopped into the toilet.

I gave a short eulogy that morning, but it turned out to be more for me than for the kids. All they wanted to know was when we were going to get our next fish, or maybe..."Can we get a hamster, Ms. Wong?" one voice shouted out as I finished my tribute.

Oh, Sharkey. I can't speak for the kids, but I will miss you. You were our cheerleader and reminded us to explore and discover and persevere - at least that's what I tried to get the kids to associate you with...

No comments: