Thursday, April 2, 2009

Oh, my heart smiles!

I know it's a cheesy title, but I don't know how else to describe it...

I walked around the classroom as the students were completing a math word problem. I glanced at Joey's paper, expecting it to be blank - afterall, it was a difficult problem. To my surprise, he had two numbers written down on the page and was starting to multiply them. HE KNEW HOW TO DO IT!

"Joey, do you want to present the SLS today?" Every day the students complete a math word problem and then one student each day presents the problem to the class. Most students have presented about 8 in th past year and a half. Joey hasn't presented any.

He looked up and smiled. Then he shook his head.

I tried again, but received the same response. "Ok. Then you'll do it tomorrow."

He looked up with the same smile, but this time he thought for a second. "Ok."

I was excited but tried not to get ahead of myself.

The next morning, there was a buzz. Today was the day Joey was going to present his SLS. The kids remembered and they were excited. Their friend rarely completes any assignments. Is he really going to present today? I wasn't sure if Joey was even going to attempt today's problem.

But he did. And he presented. And he nailed EVERY SINGLE question the kids asked him about the problem. I watched with a smile that came from deep within - a smile that had been waiting for a year and a half to be put on my face. He did it.

HE DID IT!!! It's for moments like these and a week of seeing him smile and work without any coaxing that makes it all worth it.

No comments: