Thursday, April 30, 2009

Family

Ohana means "family". "Family" means no one gets left behind.

Family. Familia.

Those are the words that the representative from the state used in our debrief after his visit. The common word used in the student panel, parent panel, and teacher panel was the word family.

While my relationship with my family is strained and full drama and while it has been one of my biggest challenges for much of my life, it always gives me a sense of safety. I know that I will always be safe with my family. I know that they will take care of me and won't leave me. I know they have my back. Always.

I'm proud to know that that sense of safety and care is apparent at our school among all involved. It's a big deal for me that the parents and students know that I have their back and am on their side, cheering for them to succeed. It's a big deal for me to know that the parents and students have my back - that they will support me and work with me in our common dream. And it's an amazing blessing to work in a place where my colleagues are more than people I work with - they celebrate with me and cry with me about the students and life beyond the classroom.

I hope we will always stick together - each of the little families within our school community - no matter how difficult situations get, how hopeless things seem, or what circumstances comes along. We are "una familia" and that means no one gets left behind.

No comments: