Saturday, May 23, 2009


Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me


Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow
Why then oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why oh why can't I?


He dared to dream of a place somewhere over the rainbow where the opportunity equation would be changed. He dreamed of a place where underserved families would be given an education that would not only allow them to beat the odds but that would allow us to change the odds by reforming education.

Because he dared to dream, I was given a chance to begin pursuing my dreams.

And now, thousands more kids are dreaming big dreams of lecture halls and dorm rooms. Learning and graduation day. Because he dared to dream, hundreds of families are dreaming of lives they were never able to begin imagining before.

Thank you, Don Shalvey, for your inspiration and your humongous heart. Thank you for trusting us to carry on your organization as you go and advocate for greater change nationally.

Dreams really do come true. You've left an amazing legacy.

No comments: