Maybe today's 4.7 earthquake wouldn't have been as traumatic if I had gone home as I planned to do at 3:45 today. I was all packed up and ready to go, but decided to drop by the afterschool reading room. Some of the students were waiting for their reading tutors to arrive so I sat to work with them for a bit. Suddenly heard we a loud bang that seemed to be coming from the side door. I quickly brushed it off but realized, when the ground started moving, that I needed to get the kids under the desks. When all of the students finally found desks to crawl under, the earthquake had already stopped.
Under a desk was a third grader whose shock turned into fear and poured out in tears. Her fifth grade brother, who was under the desk across from her, saw her crying and crawled over to hold and comfort her. What was so amazing about that interaction is that her brother has many behavioral issues in class. Yet, at the sight of his little sister in fear, something so tender within him revealed itself and he, without any hesitation, lost all need to be cool and tough. It was so natural. He knew what he needed to do. And he just held her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment