I read the note to the kids. The house of one of our families burned down this weekend, leaving them with literally nothing more than the clothes on their backs. The note was sent home to invite parents to support the family through donations.
One kid's hand shot up. He along with his two brothers spend 3 hours on buses to get to and from school every day. His family lives in a one-bedroom apartment with 8 people. "Of course my family will donate, Ms. Wong! But what if what we bring won't fit through the door?"
I smiled at his eagerness and was struck with curiosity about what this large object that he wanted to bring was. So I asked.
He was completely serious. "Well, like furniture or something!"
His generosity - how, to him, whether or not he should give wasn't even a question - reminded me of the widow's offering.
This fifth grader challenged and inspired me today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment