Thursday, October 8, 2009

Student Discipline

It has taken me a few weeks to adjust to the reactions I get when I move a students' clip. (It's our behavior management system). My 5th graders cared, but not really. They would pout for 5 minutes at the thought of having to write another reflection, but then would quickly get over it.

I didn't move any clips on the first day of 1st grade. Some kids deserved it, but I didn't want to ruin their first day of school. So, I nailed them on the second day instead.

After her second clip change that day, I sent Cammie to time out to think about the choices she was making and what she should do to make better choices. She stared at me for a few seconds and then said, "Teacher, I'm only 5 years old." Funny she thought that was gonna empathize with that.

On the same day, Annie got her clip moved once. It didn't faze her at first, but then something clicked. "Teacher, are you going to give us those colored papers today?" The color papers are my way of reporting the day's behavior. "Yes, I am Annie." The wailing begain, "But teacher, I don't want a green paper! No, teacher, no! Pllleeeeaseee. Noooo, teacher!" Nothing would stop her crying. I tried reminding her that she just needed to make better choices the next day. I tried comforting her with a hand on her shoulder. I tried ignoring her. I tried talking over her. The wailing wouldn't stop. So, I brought the kids onto the rug and we turned on the music and sang over her. It took two rounds of B-I-N-G-O for her to finally stop.

I felt so heartless, but I hope Lee Canter would be proud.

No comments: