He walked by my room and peeked in. Saturday School had just ended and I was in my classroom catching up with two of my 6th graders.
"Hey, Robert, how are you?" Robert is a current 5th grader at our school. I never had him, but all the teachers know him. He's had behavior issues for the last two years and he has these eyeglasses strapped around his neck that makes him look like a future billionaire. I told him that once.
"Good. Do you need help Ms. Wong?"
"I'm ok right now, but you're welcome to come in and hang out with us." He came and sat down.
"So, Robert, what's this I hear about you moving soon?"
"Yeah, my family is moving."
"You can't! I'll miss you too much!"
"But I have to. My mom is moving. We're leaving in November."
"November! That's my birthday. That's a horrible birthday present! Now you really can't leave."
He looked at me and just smiled a little bit.
I got a note from him the following Tuesday.
Dear Ms. Wong,
I will miss you when I go away and happy b-day I hope have the best happy b-day and happy 31st.
I saw him in the hall later that day with a friend as I was walking my students in from recess. "Thanks for your note, Robert!" He quickly turned away, ignoring me.
But Friday afterschool found him in my room again. "So you got my note?"
"I did. Thanks, Robert. It was really sweet."
"Can I help you today?"
I guess writing notes to teachers is an undercover activity...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
awwww how adorable!! They love you Ms. Wong!!
Post a Comment