Sunday, October 18, 2009

Tough Boys Part 1

When Kenny was in 2nd grade, he gave me "free hugs" anytime I needed one. I remember how devastated I was when he came up to me after winter break that year and told me the news, "I can't give you free hugs anymore, Ms. Wong. I'm a big boy now." He was serious about it too. I never got a hug from Kenny again.

This year, Kenny is in 4th grade. I went up to him one day afterschool and asked, "So are you still too "big" for hugs?"

He rolled his eyes and smiled. "Yes."

His 2nd grade teacher came up to us. "Well, I don't care, you're giving me a hug anyways." I followed suit.

A few weeks later I was talking with a student afterschool about her behavior in class. Kenny came and stood next to me for awhile and then walked away. After I was done talking with my student I went over to Kenny who was now sitting with a group of his friends. "Kenny, did you come over for a hug?" A gave him one without waiting for a reply.

"Ms. Wong! Not in front of my friends!"

No comments: