Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hiccups

When I was in 4th grade, anytime anyone got the hiccups, my teacher would send them to Mrs. R's room. Mrs. R knew a magic trick that makes the hiccups go away. Unfortunately, I never had the hiccups in school so I never got to see what she did.

Teaching 1st grade, I've had to come up with my own "magic trick" to cure the hiccups. The first time this problem came up, I had to think quick. I flashed back to how my grandpa used to tell me to drink 6 little sips of water and then one big one, but I had to throw that idea out because there's no drinking fountain in or near our classroom. I thought about having someone jump out to scare the little 6-year-old but I didn't need anymore parent complaints about nightmares. No sugar around to give her a spoonful of sugar. Finally, I told her to hold her breath and plug her nose while I held her little face in my hands, covering up her ears. I counted to 15 and let go.

The "magic trick" has worked everytime. What magic tricks do you know for curing the hiccups?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I get hiccups all the time and I usually just say the alphabet backwards. Usually does the trick!