Saturday, November 17, 2007

A bit Matilda-esque

She took out a box of chocolates and a card and handed it to me. "Happy Birthday, Ms. Wong! Now you'll always have something you can eat." I guess they've all seen me snacking on random pieces of food on the days I was too busy for breakfast or lunch.

Her friend whispered, "She walked to the store in her pajamas at 5 all by herself to get that for you."

Concern overwhelmed my gratefulness. "Please don't ever walk to the store by yourself when it's dark outside." All I could remember were the numerous times I've been warned, as an adult, not to walk around that neighborhood alone.

"Ok," she replied as I gave her a hug.

And then the image of a little girl walking through the aisles of Rite Aid looking for the perfect gift for her teacher's birthday made me chuckle and grow all warm and fuzzy inside. She definitely made my birthday special.

No comments: