Thursday, November 22, 2007

"Is it true that God's not real, Ms.Wong?"

My class has gotten really curious about God this week. Most come with a Catholic background, but with a nonbeliever in our midst, some of their worldviews of just the fact that God is real and no one can argue it (it's like arguing that apples don't exist!) is shattering. They're surveying each other, spreading rumors, and asking me lots of questions...

What's my place in all of this? Do I tell them what I really believe when they ask or do I have to hide me for fear of influencing them one way or another? I want to be honest with my kids about who I am, but is there a line to this? Or am I acting in fear of the reprecussions that being real will have on me?

Regardless, it was beautiful when we sat around in a circle sharing with each other what we were thankful for and so many thanked God for their blessings. It was as if they were sharing a testimony with their nonbelieving friend.

I'm thankful for my kids this year. For their innocence and humor and for their desire to succeed and change the world. It makes the long hours and endless planning worth it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: