Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Foolproof Lies?

DS confiscation. That has been a common occurence this week. There have been two notable responses that I can't help but chuckle at...

In overly dramatic, overly forced tears, one said to me yesterday, "But, if my mom finds out that I brought it, she'll ground me and then I won't be able to do my homework!...(more sobs)... and then she won't let me come back to school!" .... right ....

Today, we had an all day lockdown so the kids had lunch in the room with the lunch ladies. I walked in to grab something before a meeting and was sidetracked by uproars of "It's not mine! Mine's at home!" I looked over to see what they were talking about and saw Emily, an afternoon supervisor, holding a DS. She looked at me uncertain of what to do, so I took it and said, "Oh. Since it's not theirs, I guess it's mine." The expressions on their faces were priceless as they watched me walk out of the room with someone's prized toy.

I write this with mockery and an outward chuckle, but I am moreso saddened and disappointed. I find myself at a loss of words, wisdom, patience, and even love. How do I inspire and not nag? How do I teach and not preach? How do I instill love, honesty, respect, and care into these kids who I want so much for?

No comments: