Monday, June 9, 2008

The Behavior Chart

Every day at 2:50PM our closing routine includes the students recording their behavior for the day according to the behavior chart displayed. Often, I would have told various students throughout the day that I would be moving their behavior clip but forgot to follow through with it. However, without fail, several of my students who often get their clip moved will tell me as I announce their daily behavior, "Ms. Wong, remember when you told me to move my clip for talking? You forgot to do it. I actually owe you all of recess tomorrow."

"Yeah, Ms. Wong. I'm on yellow."

"Me too."

As I listen to my kids being so honest, not out of mockery of the system but out of knowing their mistakes and out of a desire to be honest about them, my heart is stirred and I have to hold back the tears. Do they still receive the consequences? Yes. They have to take ownership of their bad choices and have to deal with the consequences of their actions. But I'd like to think that there is something being molded in my kids through this process. I want them to know that choices have consequences, but with honest confession comes forgiveness and grace that will build character and root them in an assurance of unwavering love.

No comments: