Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Cap

He wears a cap to protect himself from the possible jeers of his classmates. He has experienced it before. What's going to prevent it from happening again?

Derek grew up battling a disease that caused him to have many seizures, and the medication that he took resulted in the loss of all his hair. His past experiences with children at school has led him to be greatly embarrassed by and self-conscious of his hair loss.

So he hides behind that cap. Most of the kids know he doesn't have hair underneath his cap. They know and they are still his friends, but Derek is scared. Scared to completely reveal himself. He comes in from lunch recess discreetly lifting up his cap to wipe away the sweat that built from their half hour on the playground. It's uncomfortable wearing the cap - it sucks. But, somehow, it feels safer. He has greater control.

The truth is, I'm fearful for Derek. Taking off the cap would be extremely vulnerable for him. I've heard the kids talk and I have had to sternly stop some potentially hurtful things that were being said. I want to protect him. But I also want him to experience the freedom that can come from his full exposure. I want him to give his friends the opportunity to love and care for him. I want him to not have to hide anymore. I want him to know that he is loved. Imperfections and all. But is that what they will show him?

What will it take for Derek to leave that cap behind? There's a huge risk of being hurt, but keeping that cap on, he'll never know just how much he is loved. Completely. For all of who he is.

I see a potential Kingdom moment that can change Derek's life and even the lives of his friends. It can free and empower and ground them in the hope of unconditional love. It can give them a worldly glimpse of what heavenly love looks like. How can I partner with God to lead my kids into this moment? For them, but also for myself. Because, I too, want to believe that caps can be left behind.

2 comments:

Daniel Groot said...

finally discovered your blog! :) thanks for sharing this with the rest of us.

Vanessa said...

I FINALLY discovered your blog too! actually, i discovered the whole underground bloggage that has been going on this whole time, it seems! I had no idea you guys did this. you really should tell people you know.. :) and by "you" i mean d.groot, jessica, joseph, josh, and the other people i'm discovering that have blogs. anyways, thanks for sharing your thoughts. makes me think about what my cap is..