Thursday, June 5, 2008

Charter School Protest

A student held a sign that read, "Don't play politics with my education." It sent chills through me as I stood in the midst of over 4,000 people protesting the budget cuts to charter schools.

It was the first protest I've ever been to. I felt unsure about going. It seemed selfish. I've never protested anything before and it didn't feel right that the first thing I would do it for would be in some way connected to me. I didn't want the protest to be about raising my salary. I didn't want it to be about teachers getting more benefits. I didn't want to be advocating for myself. But the burden God has placed on my heart is for underpriviledged children and their families. That's the part He is allowing me to play right now to partner with Him to right some of the injustices in our society. Today was an opportunity, not to advocate for me, but to advocate for my students and their families and so many others who feel stuck in a failing school system that doesn't give them the care and support they need and deserve.

"My child, my choice." Charter schools are an attempt to give underpriviledged children an education similar to private schools without the cost of tuition. With smaller class sizes and varying educational policies, many charter schools are thriving and supporting students and their families in ways that LAUSD hasn't been able to. Yet, public schools get $3000 more funding per child than charter schools. That's why parents were screaming "My child, my choice" throughout Downtown, LA today.

One of our moms brought her 4 children to the rally today. Seeing her show up brought us all to tears. She's a single mom trying her very best to give her kids a future different from the story that society is trying to write for them. There she was, baby in stroller and 3 others in tow, chanting "Si, se puede". Yes, you can.

I see these parents' drive and their desperation to write a different story for their children and all I know how to do is walk along side them, praying that God would use me in some way to bring them a bit of hope. I walk alongside Him clinging onto my belief that He wants, even more desperately than I or their parents, to write their story. A Kingdom story.

No comments: