Saturday, October 25, 2008

Not So Tough

After a day of frustration, losing my temper, and lots of clips being moved, Frank, one of the toughest boys in my class, walked past my desk to the rug and, as if speaking to no one, quietly said, "I like school."

I did a double take. Is it possible? After all the times I had to redirect him today and the times I lost all patience and used a not-so-nice voice with him, is it possible that he just said he likes school?

"What did you say, Frank?"

"I like school, Ms. Wong."

Now, when most kids say this, I smile and think to myself, "Is it time for report cards already?", but he said it so genuinely. Just stating a fact as he went to sit down on the rug with his friends.

That somehow made my day a little bit better and freed me a little bit more. It's nice to know that, to some extent, my kids can look past my bad days (or weeks as this week was) and not let their desire to learn be shaken.

A kid with big dreams for their future lives inside even the toughest boys.

No comments: