Thursday, October 9, 2008

Blessed

As I was heading out the door to visit a friend on my second to last day of Fall Break, my phone alerted me to an incoming text message. I paused to see who it was, but my caller ID didn't recognize the number. The message read, "hi mrs.wong. its me cammie." That's all it said.

I called the number back wondering if she just wanted to say hello or if she had a question about homework. Cammie has sent me texts before, but receiving her text during Fall Break made me realize that I really missed my kids and this was the perfect excuse to talk to one of them.

She just wanted to say hi. So we talked for a bit. A very simple conversation. She was in middle of a movie.

After hanging up with her, I realized something. It moved me to picture this little girl sitting on her couch at home watching a movie during her break and, for some reason, I pop into her mind so she sends me a simple hello.

These kids have become a part of my life. I think about them often. Little things remind me of them. My friends graciously bear listening to all my stories about them. I realized, from Cammie's simple hello today, how grateful I am for these 28 little ones that have come to be such a huge part of my life. They are such a blessing to me.

...

I wrote this as a reflection in life group awhile ago, and Cammie reminded me again today what a blessing it is to be invited into the lives of these children.

Who am I, Sovereign Lord, that You have invited me into this? Who am I that You have invited me in to see these broken families, these painful pasts, these hurting children? Who am I that You would invite me in to see the abuse, the neglect, the families trying so hard yet needing to fight so much injustice? Who am I but one who is unloving and impatient? Who am I but one who is quick to anger and self-focused?

Yet, You, oh God, lavish me with grace. You see my sin. You see my brokeness, but You tell me anyways, "I want to use you. I can work with you, your messiness and all."

You, God, the Healer, the Father, the Friend have shown me such miracles and root me in such great hope. I am amazed by You and come humbled before You - that You would call me Yours. That You would call me and empower me to come alongside You to see the greater things yet to come.

No comments: