Friday, October 10, 2008

Freeing Dependency

I got a phone call one night from my partner teacher. "I can't do it. I'm just one person and I may be amazing, but I'm just one person. I can't do it on my own...But I have to."

I, too, live in so many of these "I can't do it on my own, but I have to" moments.

We live depending on ourselves. We have to fix the problems. We have to make things right. We have to love more, do more, try harder, be better. But we know we can't. Not on our own. What keeps us trying to reach inevitable failure?

I'll wake up earlier. I'll sleep later. I'll plan more...more fun activities, more enriching experiences. I'll skip lunches so I can have more time with the kids. More strategy. More homework. More caffeine...

But, at the end of the day, there's still always...more. At the end of the day I come face to face with what I knew all along. I'm just one person. I can't do it on my own. But, somehow, I decided that I had to anyways.

"Know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his people and his incomparably great power for us who believe." (Ephesians 1)

These words bring freedom. Because, I am just one person and I can't do it on my own. But He can. And, with Him, I can. For, in Him is incomparable power and in Him I rest my hope.

No comments: