I sat at my desk during lunch, not wanting to look up. In my room were 9 students eating their lunches and writing the rough drafts of their planet reports. That's not what they are suppose to be doing during lunch. Lunch and recess is a time for them to run around, go away to imaginary worlds for a little bit on the playground, create memories with their friends.
But my students decided not to do their homework last night so they missed their recess and now their lunch. They sat there, working quietly - not even a peep - taking a few bites of their enchiladas between sentences. It hurt my heart to watch. It hurt because I felt like, in some way, I was stealing away their childhood.
When I look at these kids, I have such big dreams for them, but I also know that it will take such hard work and discipline to get where they want to go. I hate having to discipline them. I fear turning them off from school. I don't want to suck the life out of learning. And on some days, I feel like I'm walking a fine line.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment